Pet insurance is one way to help with your pet finances. It reimburses owners for a part of, or the whole, veterinary bill for injured or ill patients. Some plans cover times when pets are lost or stolen. Some even help when pets die. As medical costs continue to grow, more owners are looking for pet insurance plans that cover preventative medicine, including examinations and vaccinations.
When an owner decides to start looking for pet insurance, there are many different companies from which to choose. We here at the Animal Clinic recommend two companies, ASPCA and Nationwide.
Here are some things to consider when choosing a pet insurance plan:
– How much it costs every month.
– If you want preventative medicine covered (or how much you want covered).
– Whether pre-existing conditions are covered. If a pet was already diagnosed, will the insurance cover the bills for this condition?
– Whether congenital and hereditary conditions are covered. These include hip dysplasia, heart defects, and similar problems.
– Whether a percentage of the bill or a dollar amount will be reimbursed.
– What are the limitations to the insurance? Are there yearly limits? Some plans have lifetime limits.
Pet insurance is something all good pet owners should think about, especially if their pets are young. However, it is a big decision, and it takes time to look through the different plans to find the perfect one. Don’t hesitate to contact us here at (219) 879-0249 with any questions. We would be glad to help.
With ASPCA you set your annual coverage limit, with choices from $5,000 to unlimited. You pay the veterinarian upfront, ASPCA reimburses you 70-90% (after deductible). The ASPCA covers vaccines, dental cleanings, and screenings.
Visit online at aspcapetinsurance.com or call 866-230-4749.
With Nationwide if your veterinarian examines it, treats it, or prescribes it, they will cover it. You pay the veterinarian upfront and Nationwide reimburses you 90% (after deductible). Nationwide covers exams, including wellness, specialty, and emergency visits, preventive care, including vaccines, teeth cleaning and spays/neuters. NationwideForMyPet.com or call 1-800-944-9742.